My Teaching Experience using Various Instructional Materials

Assalamualaikum and hi everyone.

My name is Ridzuan, a Doctor of Education (EdD) student from Universiti Sains Malaysia. I'm previously Mathematics and ICT teacher teacher in primary school in Malaysia. Now, I'm in my study leave with sponsorship by Ministry of Education, Malaysia. 

I really love to use ICT tools in my teaching. It started since my practicum session during in my study in teachers' college (in 2010). My former lecturer always encourages me to use the technology in my teaching. 


The usage of ICT in My First School

My first school in district of Mukah, Sarawak, Malaysia

After I posted to my first school in Sarawak, I stated to use ICT tools in the subject that I teach. My first school is located in village area named Balingian, which is about 65km from nearest city (Mukah, Sarawak). However, I was very grateful because the school that I posted has computer laboratory with internet access. It also has a smart board which help me to conduct lesson interactively. It really helps me to teach my pupils using ICT. 



My teaching used Smartboard in my first school


I always use ICT in my teacher so that pupils
guided with good ethics of internet user.
This is good exposure for them.


My Journey Continue in Kedah

After 3 years in Balingian, my application to transfer was approved to a school in Baling, Kedah. This school is located in the town area. In this school, I continue my journey of using ICT in my teaching and learning. In this school, it also has a computer laboratory, but I need to compete to use it because the majority of teachers here use ICT in learning. In this school, I start learning to use various ICT tools outside of computer laboratory. For example, I always use Plickers to access my student formatively. Plickers is an apps that enable teacher use it to show question / quiz, and student need to hold the correct direction of QR card to answer the question. As teacher, I need to scan pupils answer using camera through this apps. The apps will collect pupils answer and analyze it for me. 

The situation in computer lab: Pupils
need to sit down on floor since there is
two classes in a laboratory.
  
However, I always manage to get the chance to bring my pupils to the computer laboratory since I appointed as an ICT Coordinator of my school. I start to introduce to my pupils with the use of Google Docs and Google Slides. This apps are suitable to be used with Chromebook provided by Ministry of Education, Malaysia. My pupils really enjoy the learning using this apps and Chromebook. 








My Third School in Serdang, Kedah

I transferred to my third school after almost 3 years in previous school. Here is school in small town of Serdang. Most of my pupils here is from Serdang town and villages around. My journey of teaching continues with various use of instructional materials in classroom and computer laboratory. Here has a computer laboratory, but it is rarely used since it quite far from classroom area. So, I always bring my ICT tools and use various apps to help my pupils on their lesson. I started to use Surface Pro which is tablet PC that can be used with Surface Pen for digital ink. For digital ink, I often use Microsoft Onenote to do notes for my pupils and use digital ink in my class. 

I connect my Surface Pro to LCD / Smart TV using Screenbeam. Screenbeam help me a lot to connect to LCD wirelessly so that I freely can walk around the class using my Surface Pro during teaching. This Surface Pro and Screenbeam are bought by me myself for my self-satisfaction. 

The usage of Surface and Screenbeam in classroom


MCO Make Me Explore More!

MCO - Movement Control Order implemented by government of Malaysia prevent face-to-face learning in schools. So, I learned a lot using various applications that my pupils keep learn synchronously and asynchronously at home. Since majority of my pupils is stayed in slow internet connection area, I started my lesson using WhatsApp. My school administrator chooses this apps because all pupils have access with it. The parents also highly suggest school using WhatsApp. 



The pictures above shown that 90.3% of parents agreed to used WhatsApp as teaching and learning main medium of learning during MCO. 90.6% parents have devices with slow internet connection. This survey conducted by school. 


However, this does not limit me to use various instructional tools for my pupils learning. I used a lot of apps to attract pupils to keep learning although they stayed at home. I used Microsoft Teams as video meet apps. Besides, I used YouTube to share my lesson video that i created. For assessment and exercices, I often use Kahoot!, Quizizz, Wordwall and Google Form to gather the data of my pupils' learning. This apps help a lot to make the learning fun. I share the link of those apps in WhatsApp group so that my people can access it. Here is example of lesson video that I created for my pupils:


The lesson video for Mathematics Year 4: Fraction

A lot of interactive activities created using Wordwall. 

Sample of interactive activity using Wordwall:

Besides, I also create content of learning in Microsoft PowerPoint. In this apps I can use together with ClassPoint to make my lesson more interactive since the pupils can use their phone to answer the quiz. The 

Example of slide created for my pupils' learning

My pupils' response interactively by using ClassPoint apps as add-on in Microsoft PowerPoint.

Through all my journey of a teacher in about 11 years, I feel very happy to use various of instructional materials in my teacher which some of those apps need to be paid. I'm very satisfied with my teacher until the last moment of my teaching in 16th of October 2022. I started my study leave on 17th of October 2022 with the heavy-hearted since I still love the wonderful moments of teaching passionately with various instructional materials which suit my pupils' need. However, to pursue my dreamed ambitions, I need to keep strong to starting my EdD studies and graduate excellently. 

My last day celebration in my previous school. 


Ridzuan Digital4All

EdD Student (Educational Technology & Multimedia in Universiti Sains Malaysia) | Math Teacher | EduTech Advocates | MIE Fellow (22-24) / MIE Expert / ME Master Trainer (2019-2024) | Admin Digital Classroom Malaysia | Guru Pakar Connecting-Dot Learning (CDL) | #CikguJuaraDigital 2021 MDEC | AI Certified Instructor (UTM) | Members of GEG Kulim | Apple Teacher

Catat Ulasan (0)
Terbaru Lebih lama